Monday 24 October 2011

Failures and victories.

This week once again I failed in my challenge of trying a new recipe; however, I did finally get my hands on a copy of Now Then magazine where I they have published a recipe of mine!

My recipe is the one on the right!


It's no secret that I have a slight obsession with curry and I this is a recipe I've been obsessing about for a few years and in August I finally tracked down some Paneer! So to mark this I decided to make Mattar Paneer. After I experimented with the recipe a few times I adapted the it and came up with my own version for Now Then.

If you haven't got your hands on a copy of Now Then this is the recipe.

Mattar Paneer

Ingredients:
125g paneer
1 onion chopped
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
2 tablespoons of ghee/ vegetable oil if you don’t have any ghee.
1 knob of ginger chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 ½  teaspoons of chilli powder
1 mug of frozen peas
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 red pepper sliced
1 tablespoon of chopped jalepeno peppers

Put the ghee in the pan and heat whilst you chop the paneer into bitesized chunks.

 Add the paneer to the ghee and fry it, until it is browned and then remove it from the pan and put it to one side for later.

 Add the cumin seeds, onion and ginger to the pan and cook until the onion has softened, then stir the red pepper and jalepenos peppers into the mix.

 After four or five minutes pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes into the pan and season with the coriander, chilli powder and turmeric.  

Simmer the mix for another five – ten minutes and then add the frozen peas and paneer for another ten minutes or until the peas have softened and cooked. 

Serve with vegetable pakoras, onion bajis, a naan bread and a big grin.

Serves 4.

This is how it looks when I cook it... I'm not the best photographer and the picture they put with the article looks far more appetising! It's very tasty though!

Recently I have been busy reading Enter Wildthyme by Paul Magrs, who also writes the Brenda and Effie books me & the boyfriend enjoy. I have also been celebrating my friend Heather's birthday by going to a spa and then going for food and drinks at one of our favourite bars, where we met some of the Sheffield Steel Roller Girls!  

I also discovered mini cheese burgers which are apparently the next big food thing... now they made me feel like a giant in a good way but I'm not sure they can replace curry. Will have to try to make some though! Eating burgers also reminded me of the blog Burgers and Nails, an idea I don't think I could have ever come up with but now I know I'm reminded of it every time I pick up a burger!

Despite not managing to do a blog recipe this week it hasn't ended up a complete failure as it's still had it's victories and inspirations.


No comments:

Post a Comment