To make this you will need
- 450g/1lb strong white flour2 tsp salt4 tbsp olive oil
325ml/11fl oz warm water1 small onion, finely chopped2 cloves garlic8 slices of prosciutto125g/4½oz mozzarella cheeseA few Spinach leavesI started by measuring out the flour for dough and putting it into a bowl then adding the yeast, salt, olive oil and water.Next I mixed the ingredients together before kneading them for five minutes then I covered the dough with some cling film and put it in a warm place to rise for an hour.
- Whilst this was rising I started to sort out the sauce, the original recipe said to chop up the onion and fry it off in a pan and then add the other ingredients. I decided that whilst this sounded like a good idea I realised that this take a bit longer than I planned so I chopped up the onion and put it in a bowl with the garlic, chopped tomatoes, oregano and sugar then put it in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Once this was done the dough had also risen so I rolled the dough out and then put it on a baking sheet and covered it in tomato sauce.
- I then put the mozzarella on top.
- Before adding the prosciutto ham and a few leaves of spinach in place of the fresh basil in the original recipe because that's what was in my fridge...
Whilst transferring the Stromboli the dough started to weaken and rip and I think I may have rolled it out too thin... then again I probably didn't use enough flour either but needless to say holes appeared in it. The original recipe said to let it rise again but the evening was getting on so I only let is rise a few minutes before putting it into the oven at 200c/gas mark 6 for 25 minutes.
It cooked well but alas it didn't look as nice as I wanted it to when I took it out of the oven and ended up tasting mainly like tomatoey bread. My boyfriend didn't believe I put cheese in it, I guess that the dough absorbed his share whilst it was cooking! This recipe also made a monstrous amount so I took some of it into to work for my lunch the next day.