Monday 19 September 2011

52 Recipe Challenge – week 12.

I’ve had to take a bit of a break from the blog recently  as I mentioned in an earlier post and mainly from the recipe side of things as I haven’t been doing as much home cooking as I normally would be. I put this partly down to not knowing where half the cooking implements have been packed for the last few weeks not just laziness...  One of the good things that happened when I was packing was coming across forgotten treasures like money in pockets, sparkly shoes and a little recipe zine I bought from a festival.

This little zine was bought a few years ago at Peace in the Park from Sheffield Animal Friends and whilst I am not vegetarian I like to have a few vegetarian recipes in my recipe repertoire. The recipe I chose to try this week was Carrot & Ginger Soup.

To make this recipe you need:
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Onion chopped
450g Sliced Carrots
400ml Water
225g Diced potatoes
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger
Salt and pepper

I started off by heating putting the oil in the pan and chopping up the onion, when this was done I heated up the oil and added the onion which I cooked on a low heat for 5 minutes.

Whilst the onion was cooking I washed and chopped the carrots, ginger and potatoes.

Then added them and a sprinkle of salt to the pan.

Once this was all in the pan I fried them for about ten minutes before adding the 400ml of water which I then brought to the boil before letting the mix simmer for a good fifteen to twenty minutes.

Once the carrots were cooked I took it off simmer and tried to blend the mix in the food processor; however there wasn’t enough liquid so I tried to poke it with a coffee spoon.... when that didn’t help I decided to add some more water which let me blitz the mixture properly.

Once it was blended I glanced over the recipe again and realised I missed out the bit about putting the pepper in with the water so I sprinkled it with pepper in the hope it would help.

I ended up freezing the soup and eating it for lunch at work the next day, it did the job of warming and filling me up but it wasn’t as tasty as I would’ve liked it to be. 

If I try this recipe again I think I will grate the ginger as the recipe suggests rather than chop it and try to taste the mix for seasoning rather than realising it needed it too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment