Sunday 15 April 2012

52 Recipe Challenge - Week 40

This week I baked again, this time I made some mini egg cookies as I bought the mini eggs intending to bake with them over Easter and didn't find the time. 

I decided to make the mini egg cookies after being inspired by a blog post on Jo's blue AGA about Easter Cookies.

I made these as I had some time off work and decided I fancied baking and it seemed like the perfect opportunity! The only ingredient I didn't have that Jo used was the chocolate popping candy spread so I have left this out.

To make my take on these cookies you will need:

200g butter
300g  sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
360g plain flour
pinch of salt
2tsp baking powder
A big packet of mini eggs about 360g

I started off my lining my baking tray, turning on the oven and then consulting the recipe.  The recipe on Jo's 
blog said to use 300g of soft brown sugar but I only had about half that amount so I substituted half of it for 
caster sugar and then added the butter and tried the sugar and butter together.

I decided this was done around the time my arm started to ache and looked at the recipe again where it said 
to add the eggs a bit at a time and decided instead to just sift the flour, salt, baking powder, eggs and vanilla 
essence in all at once.  I stirred this mixture up with my wooden spoon until it combined to form a clay like 
 dough.
 
At this point I spooned some of the mixture on to my lined baking tray then got the mini eggs from the 
cupboard  and popped some of them on top of the cookie mixture.



I had fun arranging them into patterns! I guess that's my latent artistic tendencies getting the better of me...
Then I put them in the oven at 170c for 7 minutes and took them out and whacked the tray on the hob, 
breaking one cookie in the process. Oops! Before returning them to the oven for another 8 minutes.
 
After 8 minutes I got the cookies out and put them on a wire rack to cool and then put another batch in the 
oven and repeated the process.For the last batch I decided to see what would happen if I didn't tap the tray
 half way through cooking and they didn't seem to be a great deal of difference. They spread out a bit but I 
probably put too much dough on the baking tray again as I needed to finish baking and leave the house... 

The cookies all worked out ok... some of them were less successful than others and sadly had to be put out 
of  their misery. Others got the opportunity to go to town and be shared. (Although, not before I nearly 
smashed them to crumbs dancing with them in my hand bag.) The boyfriend says they are up there with his
favourite chocolate chip cookies and will be requested again next Easter.

And I think they go great with a cuppa, all in all not a bad afternoon's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment